Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm so done with being sick! I feel like a fraud even saying I'm sick. It's a stupid cold. Well not even a cold really, just a cough that won't go away! It's a tricky cough, transforming cough, from either a dry annoying tickle in the back of my throat that just makes my throat sore from it to a deep hacking cough that makes me feel like I might literally cough up a lung! It's not really a cold since I don't have a runny nose or fever. Just this stupid cough I get a few times a year. Although this is my first time having it in the summer! It started last Thursday and is just getting worse instead of better. Whatever is slow moving, slow to get started and slow to go away. I woke up last Thursday and I instantly knew what I was in for, but man was I hoping I would be wrong for once. I wasn't. I have tried everything to get relief from this cough and nothing, I mean NOTHING gives me a break. Same way as always. I've drank almost an entire bottle of dayquil equivalent since Saturday. Why I keep taking it I don't know, it does nothing to make me feel better. It tastes awful, yet I keep taking it hoping this will be the time it finally works. It doesn't. I finally took some night time dimetapp the other day knowing I would probably regret it, but I needed some sleep, bad, so I took it. I slept all right. About 2 hrs and finally felt rested. My throat however, felt worse. Like I had slept in front of a heater blowing right in my mouth. I know they call it cotton-mouth for a reason and yesterday after my nap that's exactly what my mouth felt like, cotton. Yuck! I've drank everything, but what I really want to, my beloved cherry coke. I don't drink it though because i know it will just take longer to heal if I do. I've had more hot tea in the past 2 days than I've had in the past year! Now I'm drinking honey water. Why? Because I read about it in a book I'm reading. A maid in the book made it for her charge when she complained of a sore throat. She said she knew she was getting a summer cold and the honey water would help. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. I'm drinking my crystal light in room temperature water which is not easy, but necessary. I drink so much that I spend the bigger part of my day peeing. Sick of that too. Another thing I'm sick of is the cough drops, but they give me the longest relief without drinking. Problem with them is then my stomach gets all sick feeling from the menthol and hardly any food. It also makes my teeth feel nasty with they way it coats my teeth. Then I have to brush my teeth. Then my lukewarm crystal light tastes funny. If it's not one thing it's another. Eating seems to make me feel a little better, at least it takes care of the sick feeling in my stomach for awhile and absorbs some of the liquids I'm downing. My throat is so sore and swollen though that sometimes it feels like I'm going to choke on my food. Annoying. I can't sleep because the cough won't let me. I've rested so much that I just want to sleep to pass the time more quickly. I try to mess around on the computer to keep me busy, but I tire easily. Really the only thing that is making any of this bearable at all is that book. I've been wanting to read it since I saw they made a movie of it. I knew instantly it had to be a book first, searched and found I was right. Of course. At least with all this resting I have a good excuse to sit around and read all day. I started it last night and all ready I'm halfway through. It is as good as I expected and even though my eyes are tired from not reading a book this much for ages I just can't seem to put it down. It's not like I have a lot of options for keeping myself busy, especially my mind. I hate when my mind is bored. Well lunch is ready so I'm going to go choke down some more food, feed a cold, and all and read some more. What a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment