Monday, March 8, 2010

The schedule struggle

I am currently going to school on-line to become a Medical Transcriptionist. I am doing this so that I can then work as a transcriptionist from home. This will be my third work-from-home job. The first one was running a day care. I thought that was hard when I was doing it. What I mean is, I thought that was hard to do while also caring for my kids and keeping up on the housework. I was wrong! That was one of the easiest jobs I've ever done from home when you consider taking care of the kids and the housework too. My second job was working as an internet researcher. That one wasn't as easy, but not as hard as being a transcriptionist is going to be. One reason is because most of the time I was doing that I only had my three older children then. I could work while they were at school, I could work in a different room and not worry as much about what they were doing. I could also work at any time of the day I wanted & was able to be interrupted quite easily without getting lost on what I was doing. Transcriptioning won't be the same way. Now I have an almost 2 yr old whom I have to keep a sharp eye on. Plus with MT you have to where head phones and be able to hear what the dictator is saying. That is going to be the biggest obstacle. I either won't be able to hear what my 2 yr old is doing, or I won't be able to hear the dictator well enough to do my job.
As for scheduling-that is a big issue too. Before with daycare my kids just played with the other kids, or did their homework at the table where i could easily help them and watch the kids. With my internet research job my hours were completely flexible, when & how many were totally up to me except for a few times a year. This job though they need to know how many hours a week I can work ahead of time. I have a limited amount of time to finish the work and turn it back in. Right now my scheduling issue is schooling. Luckily the program is just as flexible as my 2nd wah job was. Anytime, for any amount of time I want. The problem is finding the time-or rather making the time-around my hubby's schedule, my kids, trying to work out to lose this extra weight I've all ready gained & to fight the weight I am likely to gain in the future & do all the sahm jobs that I have too. Not to mention my 21 mo old doesn't always like to stick to a schedule either. Today is the first day of the "newest" schedule I have tried to put in place. However, this time I also have hubby's weird 4 day work week to contend with. He is now home 2 days through the week. You'd think that would make it easier on me then, right? Wrong! Hubby isn't real good at knowing what needs done around the house or with the kids without asking me. He's also not good at moving at a faster speed than he's on-which is necessary for a family this size with as many activities as we have. My frustration gets to be a bit much at trying and trying and getting no where it seems. My worry is that I'm going to be very stressed out when I do actually get to work that no one is going to be happy. I can't change it if I don't keep trying though. Ironically I am blowing part of my schedule by writing this blog about scheduling! I'm my own worst enemy sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's the toughest job being a Mom! We try to multitask at everything else we do!!

    I am sure once you get qualified you will find a schedule that will work for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete